The city of Madison was founded as a railroad depot town soon after the completion of the Memphis & Charleston Railroad in 1856.
The first town lot was sold by James Clemens (father of U. S. Senator Jeremiah Clemens and a distant cousin of Samuel Langhorne Clemens, aka "Mark Twain") in February of 1857 to George Washington Martin, the town's first merchant.
As the town grew following the Civil War, the merchants desired to change the image from simply being a railroad depot, so they incorporated the town and changed the name in 1869 to just "Madison", dropping the "Station" from the legal name.
The Madison Station Historical Preservation Society takes an active role in preserving the ambiance of the old town's historical district, as the town has grown into a thriving, aerospace-oriented, modern city.
Copyright © 2021 Madison Station Historic Preservation Society - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy